Tuesday, May 17, 2011

KL and Singapore

After a very short final sleep in Australia I jumped on my 8 hour flight up to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I had been there quite a few times in 2009 so was looking forward to being back somewhere I knew and not having to worry about not having a map or anything. I had boarded the plane wearing 3 layers of clothes and hastily stripped them off when the 32C air rushed into the plane when they opened the doors for disembarkation.
Somehow it all felt so normal being back in KL, the tropics and the developing world, like the time in Australia was the strange holiday and not the other way around. The heat, the greenery, all the chaos on the streets, the dirt, the noise, foreign signs, the crowds, the smell of diesel fumes laced with the smell of tropical fruit and indian spices seemed somehow totally natural if still unpleasant at times. It was easy enough to get back into town and find a cheap place to stay. I was also able to meet up with a friend I had met before there. We hung out, eating and wandering around the park below the Petronas Towers. It all seemed so normal that I had completely forgotten to even take my camera out with me for the 1 day/2 nights I was in KL. Of all the countries in the world other than the US and Canada, Malaysia is the country I have passed in and out of the most.
I left Malaysia on a very early bus to Singapore. Malaysia actually has a really good highway system and nice buses in a 1-2 configuration with 1 seat on the left and 2 on the right of the aisle so there is tons of space in a comfy chair. KL to Singapore is only just over 5 hours though I got held at Singapore customs over some gifts I'm trying to carry home. Singapore remains as ridiculously strict and expensive as ever....
I had just under 12 hours to spend in Singapore before my midnight flight out to Cebu so I met up with a friend Francis. He was one of the family members I stayed with when I spent 6 weeks in Singapore 1 ½ years ago and we were both excited for a brief reunion. I did go back to say hi to the family at their home briefly (and drop off my bags) before we ran off to eat and watch Thor in the theatre. Again it was cool to revisit somewhere I had been before and knew and meet up with friends. I even still had my old metro card with credit on it to use :) It's amazing and sad how fast the time flies when you're having fun so before I knew it it was time to say goodbye again and catch my next flight. Philippines here I come!


At 12:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ammon,
It is fun to hear the exitement back in your voice, and the enthusiasm for travel returning. Back to the Phillipine huh? Gonna catch some dive time? or just a few rays and a girl? LOL
Enjoy your walkabout.

Big Bear Hugs
The bear


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home